A refreshing raita made using banana stem. Banana stem or vaazhai thandu has a texture similar to celery, but the flavor is subtle and unique.
Banana stem is considered healthy, and is widely used in South India as a remedy for weight loss and kidney stones, as well as an effective diuretic and laxative.
Banana stem is rich in fiber, and makes you feel full faster.
It can be consumed in the form of juice, but eating it provides more benefits. Including it once or twice a week in the diet helps those looking at ways to cut down the pounds.
Rich in potassium
Like banana, banana stem is also rich in potassium and vitamin B6. Vitamin B6 helps in production of hemoglobin and insulin. It also improves the ability of body to fight infection.
Potassium helps effective functioning of muscles, including the cardiac muscles, prevents high blood pressure, helps nerve impulses and maintains fluid balance within the body.
Banana stem is a diuretic and helps detoxify the body. However, its ability to prevent and treat kidney stones is under study.
Banana stem raita
- Banana Stem – 4″ piece
- Green Chilies (chopped) – 3
- Mustard – 1tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Thick curd – one cup
- Coriander leaves (chopped) – 1tbsp
- Slice banana stem, and remove the excess fiber. Chop finely.
- Mix with chillies and salt, and set aside for 10 minutes. Squeeze the water from the banana stem and place in a bowl.
- Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Then, add the banana stem pieces.
- Stir in curd and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.