How to Save Your Hair Color
So you’ve dyed your hair and the color came out better than your expectations. You want to make sure that it lasts long and doesn’t fade away. Fear not! Listed below are some tips that will save you hair color and keep it from fading away.
1. When you change your hair color it is important for you to maintain it. There’s a few things that you can do to keep the longevity of your hair color and keep it nice and fresh. For starters, you can use the right hair products to wash your hair. You can change your shampoo to a color care shampoo. This kind of shampoo basically caters to colored hair. It doesn’t strip the color that you have and neither does it tone it a certain way. You can also get a color care conditioner to go with the shampoo for good results. Color treated shampoos and hair conditioners go great together.
2. There is another kind of revolutionary shampoo which has received a lot of hype recently and it’s called a color depositing shampoo. These shampoos actually have color in them so basically when you wash your hair with it, it deposits color back into your hair.
Photo credit: lorealparisusa.com
3. If you want to color you hair on your own at home then you should get advice from an expert on which color you should apply to your hair because it will save you from having a big mess up with your hair and just drying it out completely.
4. There are little things that you can do to keep your hair from fading. After adopting those little habits you’ll notice that your hair will get significantly better. For example you can wear a scarf or a hat to help protect your hair from sun damage. It’s a stylish way to protect you hair from damaging sun rays. You can also use a UV protectant like a leave in conditioner with UV protecting agents in it.
5. When you shampoo and condition always use cool water to wash you hair. Don’t use hot water because when you wash your hair with hot water it opens up the cuticles and therefore allows the color molecules out of the hair. Whereas using cool water will seal the cuticles and it will lock in that color keeping it nice and fresh.
Photo credit: wikitricks.org
6. If you like to swim then wear a swimming cap before going in the swimming pool because chemicals in the pool can be really bad for your hair and they tend to strip the hair color out. For example chlorine is not good for color treated hair.
7. You must have noticed that the ends of your hair have a different and lighter color as compared to the rest of your hair. That’s because the ends have gone through most damage and they tend to be more rough and dry. To avoid this you can use a leave in conditioner. It nourishes your hair but doesn’t leave them greasy.
8. It is also important that you avoid washing your hair every other day. Just wash your hair after 2 – 3 days because shampoos have sulfates in them which can dry out your scalp and make your hair color fade away.
Author Bio: This article was written by Rida Maqbool. She blogs at BeautifulYou.com.pk which is a premiere health, beauty and fashion informational portal of Pakistan