Winter Skin Care Tips
It’s that time of the year when you need to be extra careful about your body. The following tips will help you deal with those dreaded winter woes.
1. Start using a creamy facial cleanser. Cleansers, which you use to remove make-up usually, strip away moisture and during winter, this problem gets magnified.
2. Moisturize throughout the day. Use a moisturizing facial mask. Try using body lotion even before you’ve left the shower, right after rinsing soap or body wash. It will help lock in some extra moisture.
3. Of course, hot water showers feel great in winter, but they wreak havoc on dry skin. Try a lukewarm shower instead, and then pat your skin dry with a towel.
4. Avoid skin products and hair styling products that have a high alcoholic content. When alcohol evaporates, it feels cool and refreshing, but it also strips away moisture, so opt for alcohol-free products, when the air is already dry.
5. When it comes to hair, if you’re already dealing with dry, brittle hair, resist the urge to reach for the hair dryer. It’ll only make things worse. Dry and style your hair with a towel, and if you still want to use a dryer, time yourself and try to use it a little less.
6. One of the biggest problems during winter are chapped lips. Use a lip balm with at least SPF 15 and preferably one with antiseptic agents to aid in healing. Some lip balm products are made with tea tree oil, which helps heal painful cracks.
7. Your hands, feet, knees and elbows need to be looked after too, during winter. Use products containing shea butter, petroleum, mineral oil, tea tree oil or glycerin. For intense relief, moisturize hands and feet at night, and then slip on gloves or socks to lock in the moisture.