|Bread and Butter Pudding||
Recipe Type: Dessert
Prep time: 50 mins
Total time: 50 mins
One of the easiest puddings to make. This bread and butter pudding with raisins, pistachio and saffron is a delight to eat.
- 250ml double cream
- 65 ml milk
- 50 g caster sugar
- 3-4 saffron strands
- 3 eggs
- A little butter for greasing
- 6 slices white bread, buttered and sliced into 4 triangles
- 50 g ready-to-eat dried papaya, finely chopped (Here papaya has been substituted for the sultanas or raisins. But you could also try dried apricots or even mangoes.)
- 25 g pistachio nuts, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 180º C / 350º F / Gas Mark 4.
- Mix the cream with the milk and add the sugar and saffron strands.
- Whisk the eggs and add them to the cream mixture.
- Butter a deep ovenproof dish 15cm x 22cm / 6in x 9in, put into it a layer of bread, then sprinkle over some papaya/raisins/apricots/mangoes and nuts.
- Add another layer of bread then some more nuts and papaya.
- Pour the cream mixture over the bread and put the dish into the oven for 30-35 minutes, until the surface is a rich golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
- Tip: Add a pinch of nutmeg and another of cinnamon to the cream mixture.