Cooking Plain Rice Japanese Style
Recipe Type: Main
Japanese rice is a short grain rice(the opposite of long grain rice) and it is very sticky.
- 2 cups raw Japanese-style rice (Kome)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Put the rice in a bowl and wash it with cold water.
- Repeat washing until the water becomes clear.
- Drain the rice in a colander and set aside.
- Place the rice in a pan or rice cooker and add water.
- The amount of water used is just a little more than the amount of rice.
- Let the rice soak in the water at least 30 min. One hour is ideal.
- *If you are cooking the rice in a pan, cover the pan with a lid and bring to a boil with
- hight heat.
- Turn the heat down very low and cook about 15-20 min. until the water is almost
- Remove the pan from the heat and let it steam for 10-15 min before serving.
- *If you are using an electric rice cooker, you don’t have to worry about adjusting the heat.
- You still need to let the cooked rice steam before you open the lid.