Shiny hair has always been equated with healthy hair. Getting your hair look shinier depends on your hair type.
Straight hair tends to shine better. But curl and wave hair shine less. Curly hair has an uneven surface so does not reflect light as easily as straight hair. However, you can improve the level of shine with these tips:
- Use heat-activated shampoos, conditioners and styling products.
- Deep-condition your hair once a week.
- Use a shine-enhancing hair-color product.
- Use moisturising shampoos and conditioners.
- Use a clarifying shampoo once a week. Use a wide-tooth comb to distribute your conditioner evenly.
- Give your hair a final cool rinse.
- Finish blow drying with a cool blast of air.
- Use a dryer with a nozzle attachment.
- Direct the airflow from roots to ends.
- Avoid brushes with plastic bristles.
If your hair is curly:
1. Use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner;
2. Use a straightening gel;
3. Detangle with a wide-tooth comb or fingers;
4. When blow-drying, wrap 2″ sections around a round brush to straighten;
5. Apply a finishing cream from the roots to the ends;
6. Use glossing sprays for boosting shine midday ;
7. Apply 4 to 6 drops of a silicone-based shine serum to your wet hair.
To get super-glossy curls:
1. Don’t rinse conditioner completely;
2. Apply a gel to damp hair;
3. Twist sections around your fingers;
4. Let hair dry naturally.
If your hair is wavy:
1. Use a shine-enhancing shampoo and conditioner;
2. Rinse well; separate wet strands with wide-tooth comb;
3. Spritz a silicone-based shine-enhancing spray from ends to roots;
4. Dry hair using a blow dryer with a nozzle to direct air down the hair shaft.
If your hair is straight:
1. Shampoo and condition;
2. Rinse with a cold-water for a few seconds;
4. Brush with a natural boar-bristle paddle brush;
5. Apply light finishing serum to frizzy areas;
6. Finish with shine-enhancing hairspray;
7. Use a clarifying shampoo once a week.
If your hair is damaged:
1. Apply leave-in conditioner to damaged areas when hair is damp;
2. Apply deep-conditioning treatment once a week;
3. Add a spritz of hairspray to your brush before running it through your hair.
If your hair is fine:
1. Use a shampoo that has wheat proteins and polymers as ingredients.
2. Use spray volumizers.
If your hair is normal: