Granny’s Lentil Barley Soup Recipe
Recipe Type: Appetizer
Perfect winter appetizer.
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 c chopped onions
- 2 c diced carrots
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1-2 t ground cumin
- 1 c dried lentils
- 4 c chicken broth
- 1 can (28 oz.) plum tomatoes, chopped,
- with their juices
- 1 T brown sugar
- 1/2 c dried barley
- 1/2 c chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large, heavy pot over medium high heat. Add onions and carrots; cook, stirring
- occasionally, for 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes, stirring. Add cumin and cook 1
- minute longer.
- Add the lentils, chicken broth, tomatoes, and brown sugar. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce
- heat slightly, and cook 5 minutes, partially covered. Add the barley, cover partially, and cook
- minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.