* 2 cups of Lentils (Maash ki Daal ) (pre-soaked)
* A pinch of Baking Soda
* ½ tsp. Salt
* A pinch of Asafoetida (Heeng)
* 1 tsp. of Red Chilli Powder (Pisi Lal Mirch)
* ½ tsp. Cumin Powder (Pisa Zeera)
* Plain Yogurt
* Cooking Oil (for deep frying)
* Chaat Masala (for garnish)
* Imli Chutney (for garnish)
1. Wash the lentils well in warm water. In a grinder, grind the lentils into a paste then add the rest of the spices. Mix well and set aside for 30 minutes.
2. Put cooking oil in a deep frying pan or karahi on high heat. Once the oil gets hot, turn the heat to medium and drop a tablespoon of mixture at a time in the oil and fry until golden brown. Then remove from oil and put the baray on a paper towel to absorb any extra oil.
3. In a separate dish, beat the plain yogurt by adding a little water to form a paste. Add salt, red chilli powder and cumin powder. And whip well.
4. Then take cold water in a separate bowl and put the baray in the water for a minute or so or until they are soft. Then squeeze the baray with your palms to drain out the water and add them to the prepared yogurt mix. Repeat this process until all baray mix is gone.
5. Garnish with chaat masala and Imli Chutney . (Refrigerate until cold for better taste.)