Oyako donburi- Japanese Chicken and Egg Rice Bowl
Recipe Type: Main
Oyako-don literally means parent-and-child Donburi (chicken and the egg, get it?) or a Japanese rice bowl in which chicken, egg, green onions and other ingredients are simmered together and served on top of a big bowl of steaming hot rice.
- 1/2 lb raw chicken cut from bone (1 large breast)
- 5 eggs
- 1 c water
- 3 dried mushrooms
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1/3 c Japanese-type soy sauce
- 2 scallions, cut diagonally or one onion, sliced
- 2 c chopped fresh spinach
- Cut chicken into small pieces.
- Beat in a bowl the eggs.
- Dust chicken pieces with flour, dip in beaten egg (reserve extra), and fry on both sides in hot oil until brown.
- Combine in saucepan the water and mushrooms.
- Simmer 10 minutes, remove mushrooms, and cut fine.
- Drain any excess oil from skillet.
- Add to skillet the mushrooms and liquid, sugar and soy.
- Simmer 15 minutes. Add scallions.
- Simmer 10 more minutes. Add spinach.
- While spinach is still bright green, add reserved beaten eggs to skillet and cover. Cook briefly, just until set.
- Ladle over individual rice servings in bowls and top with chopped parsley.