|Step-by-Step Guide to Make most Flakiest Samosa for iftar||
Recipe Type: Appetiser
So,Two types of dough went into these somaos’s dough . An oil dough, and a water dough. So what’s an oil and water dough? The oil dough is a dough made of only flour and fats. It is supposed to replicate the butter in puff pastries to create the layerings. This oil dough is much more easier to work with as compared to working with naked butter as you have the flour to help you hold the fats together. You won’t run the risk of butter melting and oozing out of everywhere with this. And you will be less likely to pull your hair out in frustration should that happen. As for the water dough, there is of course water included in the dough. The water and the flour allows gluten to be formed. The dough is then kneaded till it gets pliable enough to wrap the oil dough. Okay, not to bore you with anymore skin details, i shall now move on to the fillings.
- Potatoes 1/2 kg boiled and mashed
- Oil 2-3 tb
- Curry leaves 4-5
- Whole coriander crushed 1tb
- Crushed red chilli 1tb
- Salt to taste
- Whole cumin seeds crushed 1tsp
- Green chilies chopped 2-3
- Lemon juice 1/2 tsp
- Tamarind Pulp 2 tb
- Water dough :
- 210 g (1,1/2 CUP + 1TB ) plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Whole cumin little crushed 1/2 tsp
- Ajwain( carom seeds)1 pinch
- 95 ml( little less then 1/2 cup )warm water
- 25 g( 2tb ) lightly beaten egg
- 1tb margarine
- oil dough :
- 100 g( 3/4 cup)plain flour
- pinch salt
- 70 gm (5tb )margarine
- First prepare the filling as it has be cooled when using for filling the dough 🙂
- Heat oil in pan
- Add curry leaves, coriander,cumin,green chillies cook for 1 min until you smell nice aroma don’t let it brown or burn
- Add in potatoes, mixing well add salt,red chilli .. cook till heat through very well
- Then take off from heat add in lemon juice ,Tamarind pulp …
- Now taste and adjust seasonings as per your liking
- Leave a side till later use ..
- Mix all ingredients for the water dough in mixing bowl and knead till you have soft and pliable dough.Leave aside for rest for 30 minutes.
- After the water dough is rested for 30 minutes,mix everything for the oil dough till you get a workable dough .
- Divide water dough into 2 pieces about 175 g each little more or less no worries .Divide oil dough into 2 pieces about 80 g each ..Work on one piece of water dough and one piece of oil dough.Keep the other pieces in a bowl covered to retain moisture .
- Wrap oil dough in water dough .see pic (1)
- close it carefully with sealed edges facing upwards,roll this into a flat long sheet. see pic (2)
- Roll it up swiss-roll style (see pic 3)
- Turn the dough 90 degree (see pic 4) roll into thin rectangular flat sheet again like (pic 2) Roll it up tightly in swiss roll style again ,Trim away the right left edges to tidy it up .
- Let the dough rest for about 15 minutes before cutting
- divide into 8 pieces and you will get like pic (5 ),omg see the layering of the raw dough
- Flatten pieces one at a time ..let keep others covered till then ,Flatten each pieces into round disc and wrap in the filling ,,,close the edghes …if you like crul them like i did or leave them plain ..
- Repeat the process for remaining half dough .
- Heat up a wok with at least 2 inches of oil. Deep fry the puffs on medium heat until they turn golden brown. Before removing the puffs from the oil, be sure to turn up the heat to medium-high to make sure that the oil does not leach inside the puffs.
- Drain on paper towels and cool for at least 5 minutes before serving ..Drained well and serve