Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
This recipe for Three Layer Chocolate Cake should be a standard in anyone’s baking repertoire.
- 3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch processed cocoa
- boiling water 1 cup
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter
- sugar 2 cups
- 3 eggs
- vanilla extract 1 teaspoon
- 1-3/4 cups flour
- baking soda 1-1/2 teaspoons
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- milk 3/4 cup
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour three 9-inch round baking pans.
- Mix cocoa with boiling water in small bowl; stir until smooth.
- Set aside to cool.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beat well after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Gradually add cocoa mixture. Combine well.With wire whisk, combine flour, baking soda and salt.
- Alternately add flour mixture with milk and sour cream to butter mixture. Beat until blended. Pour batter into pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool the cake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Frost cake as desired.