Once you see how easy it is to make buttermilk, you’ll want to make your own every time. Here’s how:
- Heavy cream (avoid ultra-pasteurised)
- Fill a jar halfway with heavy cream.
- Then, screw the lid on firmly (a canning jar works well for this purpose).
- Start shaking the jar back and forth.
- After several minutes, the cream will thicken and turn into whipped cream. Keep shaking until the whipped cream is replaced with a yellow glob (butter) and a separate liquid (buttermilk).
- Pour the buttermilk out of the jar, and use it in any recipe that calls for buttermilk.
To Use the Butter:
Knead it under cold water for a couple minutes to remove any remaining buttermilk (it will spoil very quickly, if you don’t).
Then, salt (if desired), and store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.