Mango Cheesecake- Perfect Summer Dessert
Recipe Type: Dessert
Smooth as silk, this one is made from mango puree, hung curd and cream.
- For the base:
- 20 (125 gm) biscuits (digestive, arrowroot or ginger)
- 1/4 cup (60 gm) butter
- 1 Tbsp sugar, powdered
- For the filling:
- 1 cup (240 gm) mango pulp
- 1 cup (240 gm) sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 Tbsp (24 gm) gelatin
- 2 cups (480 gm) cream, chilled
- 2 cups (500 gm) mascarpone cheese or hung curd/dahi (made from about 1 kg)
- Mango slices for decoration
- A 10″ spring form/loose based cake tin lined with butter paper
- Powder the biscuits by crushing them between two sheets of butter paper, with a rolling pin. Alternately you could use the food processor.
- Heat the butter to melt, add the biscuits and mix well. Shut off the heat and add the sugar.
- Line the base of the cake tin evenly with the biscuit mixture, patting with a rounded spoon or small bowl. Pat to flatten and make it firm. Leave to cool.
- Sprinkle the gelatine in the 1/2 cup water and let it soak. Place into a double boiler or a smaller container which can be placed in a bigger container containing water – the mango pulp, sugar, salt, and the yolks and cook over low heat till well mixed and slightly thickened. This is the `custard’.
- When the custard is warm, add the soaked gelatin mixture and continue stirring till it reaches a coating consistency. Remove from heat and leave to cool till the custard is partially set.
- Whip cream till thick and when the custard is ready, fold in the mascarpone cheese or the curd and then the cream.
- Transfer the mixture to the cake tin, leveling it smooth and leave to set in the refrigerator for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Loosen edges of the cake spring, by passing a blunt knife around it, between cake and sides of pan.
- Transfer cake to a serving dish. Decorate the mango slices over the top, and and serve chilled