Decorating a home can be quite expensive! Here are ten tips to help you keep your budget in mind when decorating your home.
1. Decide ahead of time on a budget or payment plan, pace your decorating. Include money for accessories.
2. Decide on one room at a time and designate a priority within your room. That’s where you should begin.
3. Have a plan, color scheme, style, & atmosphere. Have a target date for completion.
4. Your confidence level in tackling your decorating project makes a big difference. If you are the least bit unsure, contact a professional designer. He or she will save you time, energy, money, and frustration. Select a designer that you are comfortable with and trust. He/she should know your likes and dislikes. Whatever is done needs to suit you and your family.
5. Measure your room to scale. Show windows and doors. Decide on a focal point. Measure furniture, rugs, etc. before purchase. Draw your furniture to scale and cut out the drawings. Place these on your floor plan, moving them around until you get an arrangement that you like. This is very easy on your back. This procedure will also help you decide if the items are proportionately correct for your room. Think too about ceiling height and traffic flow.
6. Repeat each color in your scheme at eye level, mid level, and floor level to achieve good visual balance. Repeat any pattern and/or textures at least twice in the room.
7. Paint and wallpaper/borders go a long way in updating and freshening a room and usually cost very little.
8. View colors and patterns in your home during daylight hours before making a purchase.
9. If you do not plan to be in your home for a long time, invest in accessories (artwork, area rugs, decorator pillows) that could easily be used in another home.
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE A LOT OF MONEY TO HAVE GOOD TASTE!