Day make-up with eyeliner
Eyeliner lends itself perfectly to everyday make-up. For day make-up, choose a liquid pen-style eyeliner for a thin, precise and neat line. You can also achieve this with a finely sharpened kohl pencil.
The way you apply your eyeliner depends on the shape of your eyes:
– If your eyes are round: emphasize the eye by lining the top lid only going from thin in the inner corners to thicker in the outer corner.
– If your eyes are almond-shaped: draw a line up to the inner corner of the eye, making it thicker in the middle.
– If your eyes are very small: line your upper lid but only the outer half of your lower lid.
How to apply eyeliner for daytime
The best technique is to start at the inner eye and go towards the outer eye, then raise the height of the eyelid to prevent the eye from appearing to droop.
At the end of the line, leave the natural shape of the lid and take the line upwards slightly. This technique enables you to open your eyes up.
Do not simply ring your natural eyeline as this can be unflattering and eyeliner should be used to actually balance and improve the shape and size of your eye.
To refine the line and create a smokey effect, blend slightly with a brush or a sponge. Highlight the outer corner, still blending it.
For an even smokier and more intense result, add a touch of light by applying a bit of shimmering eyeshadow to the inner corners with your fingers or a brush.
Evening make-up with eyeliner
Eyeliner provides a great deal of intensity for evening make-up. If you want a smoky look, apply a dark eye shadow under the eyeliner and blend it up to the brow, use a lighter color between the brow and the eyelid.
Stretch the eyelid out to the side and apply a thicker line over the eye shadow accentuating the outer corners with subtle flicks.
Line half way under the lower lid as close to the lash line as you can get.
Evening eyeliner should be more dramatic so also line the inner lower lid but beware of going to close to the inside corner as this can cause clumps to gather there.
– draw the line in one go to avoid trembling.
– if using a liquid, shake your eyeliner beforehand so that the pigments are well dispersed.
– stretch out your eyelid to prevent unsightly creases and obvious dividing lines from forming.
– close your eyes and let it dry, especially if you have small eyelids!