Interior decorations are often associated with mere interior embellishments. It is difficult to bestow one particular meaning to this art. Renovations can also include rebuilding something within a home as part of interiors. On a practical note, the concept of interior decorations develops from the spirit of individual taste and likings. You can always rely on professional help, provided the person is willing to do her job after a thorough research into your unique taste and lifestyle.
There are so many ways to go about it. Planning in advance will help you with many factors, including your budget and practicality. If you plan on hiring an Interior Decorator, make sure he spends time with you and your family, it is important to make him understand your specific preferences (colors, dislikes, etc). If you plan to do it yourself, it can be one of the most rewarding experiences. After all, you understand your home the best. But, as it quite often happens, you can get lost in the process, so the first step would be planning. Write down the plan, and start with a realistic budget, following are some of the important questions you can ask yourself before you start,
You can make columns with figures once you have estimated the basics,
• How much are you willing to spend (read BUDGET)?
• Do you want to start with a room or include the entire house?
• Which is the room you would like to start with?
• What is each room used for? Who is going to use the rooms?
• What is the theme you have in mind? Anything specific?
• Would you like to change the wall color/paper?
• Do you prefer low-maintenance interiors or you can do with a high-maintenance décor?
• Do you have kids? Pets? Do you want to inculcate any special care or theme for them?
• Does your budget include new furniture? (Make a list of it)
• Do you plan to use stuff at home to create your own lamps, hangings etc.?
• What needs to be changed? Work on things you really want to change, and make a separate ‘Wish List’ for dream things.
• Concentrate on the ‘Do’ list first.
Although basic, the answer to the above questions will bring the real picture in front of your eyes. This will help you in practically estimating the cost, and stirring your plan in the right direction. When you are through with the plan, start with a room by measuring its area. And write in front of it the things you will be doing—wall paint/paper; change side tables, add lamp, do panels, change rugs, and so on. After surveying each room (or just a room incase you wish to start with one), and practically jotting down things to be done, now tally this list with your original list(anything from the wish list peeping out?).
Now work on details like the wall color schemes or wall paper, try to use a basic color for all rooms for it will help in keeping the uniformity of your home intact (and costs down), and you can work on different combos with it. For wallpapers, you can use the same background color and work on the print and patterns. A combo of wall paint and paper also looks great with a little thought. You can play with colors on the rugs, curtains and lighting. If modern colors appeal to you, you can work in a combination of colors (complimentary) that go with your furniture and curtains. That should help you with getting started…all the best!
Learn more about Wall Decoration Ideas here.