Many suffer from a digestive problem called acidity, where the gastric glands of stomach secrete excess acids than required for digestion. Hydrochloric acid is secreted by the stomach, which in turn helps in the secretion of other digestive enzyme, pepsin. Pepsin helps in the breaking down of complex food substances into the simpler forms, which is later absorbed in the blood stream. Reduced secretion of hydrochloric acid results in incomplete digestion, whereas excess secretion leads to acidity. Chronic sufferers of acidity have a tough time in tackling this problem through lots of adjustments in their food habits and life style.
Common symptoms of acidity are
2. Formation of gases in the stomach
3. Burning sensation in the chest
4. Lingering sour taste in the mouth
5. Nausea and vomiting.
The most common causes of acidity are
1. Over eating or eating food in wrong times
2. Too much intake of refined food
3. Not chewing the food properly or eating in a hurry
4. Skipping breakfast or meals
5. Drinking alcohol
6. Certain medications
7. Abnormal functioning of the gastric glands.
Home Remedies for Acidity
Simple home remedies have been widely practiced since the granny’s age to treat acidity, and these are most effective of all the treatments. However, serious cases do require medical consultation.
1. Drink a glass of water early morning in the empty stomach. Water helps in neutralizing the acid.
2. Taking fresh mint juice is highly effective in treating acidity.
3. Milk and milk products are beneficial for treating acidity problems.
4. One should reduce the intake of spicy foods to get relief from this problem.
5. Sour food items must also be avoided as these aggravate the symptoms of acidity.
6. Herbal teas prepared from spearmint, licorice are very effective in reducing acidity. These can be taken in place of regular tea and coffee.
7. Chewing one or two cloves after meals also helps in reducing this problem.
8. Regular intake of fruits like banana, watermelon, papaya and cucumber are very effective in treating acidity problems.
9. Taking a mixture of one tablespoon of Indian gooseberry and one tablespoon of Haritaki is one of the best remedies in reducing acidity.
10. Juice from cabbage and luffa are very effective in reducing acidity problems.
11. Avoid onions and radish as they stimulate the gastric glands to secrete more hydrochloric acid.
12. Regular walking and practicing yoga improves the digestive system and reduces acidity problem.