Egg in a Toast- Perfect Valentines Day Breakfast
Recipe Type: Breakfast
Here’s a fun take on ‘Toad in a Hole’ eggs and toast—simply use a heart-shaped cookie cutter or a knife to make the egg’s holiday-themed hole.
- 1 thick slice of bread (white or wholemeal)
- A generous knob of butter
- 1 egg (50g)
- A little salt and pepper
- Some cooking oil to heat up a pan
- Love, care and patient (secret ingredients!!)
- Cut a hole in the centre of the bread using a heart-shaped cookie cutter about 7cm wide at its widest point. (note 1)
- Spread butter on both sides of the bread including the cut out portion.
- Heat up a little bit of oil in a small frying pan.
- Under medium low heat, sauté the bread (together with the cut out portion) on one side until golden brown.
- Turn the bread over, remove the cut out portion and melt some butter into the heart-shaped cut-out. Break the egg into it and season lightly. (note 2 and 3)
- Cook, covered, for about 2-3 minutes with low fire until the egg is cooked to your liking. (note 4 )
- Use a spatula to transfer the bread to a serving plate.
- Bon appetit!
Besides cookie cutter, you can use a knife or glass to cut a hole. If you want a nice looking cooked egg, separate the egg white and yolk. Pour the egg white, then follow by yolk. Use a spoon to push the egg yolk to the center point if necessary. You can open the lid once or twice to check whether the egg is cooked to your liking. Use low heat to cook the egg so that it will set nicely and the bread will not be burnt before the egg is fully cooked.