Making a big impression on your little sweethearts is a piece of cake with this Valentine’s Day dessert, which gets its color from strawberries and red Jell-O and its shape from two standard-size cakes.
- 1 18 1/4-ounce box white cake mix (plus eggs, water, and oil, as directed on box)
- 1 3-ounce box strawberry-flavored Jell-O
- 1 16-ounce package frozen sliced strawberries, thawed and drained
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Red or pink candies
- To begin, heat the oven.
- Meanwhile grease and flour two 8-inch baking pans, one round and one square, as directed on the cake mix box.
- Add the Jell-O to the cake mix, then prepare the mix as directed on the box. Fold half of the strawberries into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake according to the package directions.
- Remove the cakes from the pans and allow them to cool completely on wire racks.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter, sugar, and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
- Add the remaining strawberries and beat until well combined.
- Step 3 Cut the round cake in half and place the two semicircles against two sides of the square cake, as shown.
- Step 4 Spread on the frosting and decorate to your heart’s content with the red or pink candies.