Recipe Type: Dessert
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- dash salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Orange Sauce
- Attach a buttered and sugared foil collar to a 2 quart souffle dish; set
- In a small saucepan melt the 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour and salt.
- Add milk; cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; stir
- in orange peel and juice. In a small mixer bowl beat egg yolks about 5
- minutes or until thick and lemon colored. Gradually stir orange mixture
- into beaten egg yolks. Wash beaters thoroughly.
- In a large mixer bowl beat the egg whites to soft peaks. Gradually add
- sugar, beating to stiff peaks. Fold orange mixture into egg whites. Turn
- into ungreased souffle dish. Bake in a 325F oven for 60 to 65 minutes or
- till a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Serve immmediately
- with Orange Sauce. Makes 8 servings.
- Orange Sauce: In a medium saucepan combine 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons
- cornstarch, and a dash salt. Stir in 1 1/2 cups orange juice. Cook and
- stir till thickened and bubbly. Cook 2 minutes more. Remove from heat;
- stir in 1 tablespoon butter. Serve warm. Makes 1 3/4 cups.