Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: about 6 cups
Spicy and sweet mango chutney makes a great condiment for meat and poultry. You can also pour it over a block of cream cheese to serve as an appetiser. This is a classic heirloom Florida recipe dating back to the early 1900s.
- 3 to 4 pounds mangoes (mixed green and ripe), peeled, seeded, and diced
- 3 medium onions, diced
- 1 cup currants
- White raisins 1 cup
- 1 pound brown sugar
- One 3-inch piece of fresh ginger root, minced
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt or to taste
- Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- Place all the ingredients in a large cooking pot.
- Cook until fruits and vegetables are softened (but not falling apart) and the chutney is thickened.
- Seal in glass jars and refrigerate.