|Lahori Tawa Tali Machchli – Fried Lahori Fish||
Recipe Type: Appetiser
Fish fillet pieces dipped in creamy mixture of rice flour, eggs, cornflour and spices, shallow fried and served with a dried dates sauce.
- 700g hammour fish (fish fillet, without fat)
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- 3 eggs
- Juice of 4-5 lemons
- 1 tsp red food colouring
- 2 tsp black cumin seeds (shahi jeera)
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 cups desi ghee (for frying)
- For Sauce:
- 100g dried dates (chhuare in hindi)
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp chaat masala
- 2 tsp chicken stock cubes
- 250g yogurt
- For Fish:
- Cut fish fillet into 100g pieces, lengthwise.
- Put salt, ginger-garlic paste on pieces. Leave aside for 10 minutes, then wash and strain excess water.
- Put chopped ginger and garlic on fish pieces after washing.
- Mix rice flour and cornflour. Then mix in the eggs. Also add lemon juice, red food colouring and mix well.
- Add all the spices. Beat together into a smooth paste.
- Dab this paste onto fish pieces and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Remove from fridge and shallow fry on tawa in desi ghee.
- For Sauce:
- Remove seeds from dried dates (chhuare)
- Boil in double quantity water – 2 cups of water for 5-10 minutes to soften dates.
- When water reduces to half (1 cup), remove from heat and add all the other ingredients.
- Grind to a fine paste.
- Add a pinch of salt to the paste and mix. The sauce is ready. Serve with fish.