Meat Sauce for pasta Recipe
Recipe Type: Main
You can make multiple pasta dinners with this delicious sauce. Freeze a batch of this chunky sauce for any occasion. It easily defrosts, and is ready for a hearty meal in no time.
- 2 pounds bulk Italian sausage or ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, chili powder and pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a Dutch oven, cook meat and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add
- the tomato sauce, tomatoes, mushrooms, parsley and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover; simmer 15 minutes longer or until sauce reaches desired consistency. Discard bay
- leaves. Freeze in meal-size portions.
- To use frozen meat sauce: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a saucepan; heat through.
- Serve over pasta.