Recipe Type: Main
You can make multiple pasta dinners with this delicious sauce. Freeze a batch of this chunky sauce for any occasion. It easily defrosts, and is ready for a hearty meal in no time.
- 2 pounds bulk Italian sausage or ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- diced tomatoes, un-drained 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each)
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, chilli powder and pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a Dutch oven, cook meat and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes, mushrooms, parsley and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover; simmer 15 minutes longer or until sauce reaches desired consistency.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Freeze in meal-size portions.
- Serve over pasta.
To use frozen meat sauce:
Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a saucepan; heat through.