Recipe Type: Dessert
- 1 c butter, at room temperature
- 2 c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 t vanilla
- 2 c pitted dates, chopped coarsely
- 3 c applesauce
- 2 c walnuts, chopped coarsely
- 2 c mixed candied fruit, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 1/2 t ground cloves
- 1 T baking soda
- 4 c all-purpose flour
- Cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time, along with vanilla. Add remaining
- ingredients and blend until all is incorporated.
- Divide batter among 3 greased loaf pans, approximately 8x4x3 inches each.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hours 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in
- the center comes out clean.
- Remove to a cooling rack. When cool enough to handle, remove loaves from pans and cool
- completely on rack.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and keep in refrigerator.
- You can also make fruitcake cupcakes. Use mun liners and shorten the baking time to
- approximately 1/2 hour.
- Before this recipe, I had never enjoyed fruitcake. The applesauce makes is a much lighter