Recipe Type: Dessert
This easy chocolate sheet cake is moist, fudge, and way better than any box mix. Top it with chocolate frosting, and you’ve got yourself a show stopper. It’s made with simple, everyday ingredients – so it’s easy to whip up in no time.
- 3/4 cup plus 21/2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa, dissolved in 3 to 4 tablespoons boiling water to make a smooth paste
- 1 2/3 cups less 1 tablespoon self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate chips chocolate buttons, smarties, or fresh raspberries, to decorate
For the frosting
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa, dissolved in 2 tablespoons boiling water to make a paste
- 5 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 2/3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- Grease and line a 11 x 7 x 2-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, place the softened butter, sugar, eggs, and dissolved cocoa.
- Sift over the flour and baking powder. Using a hand mixer, beat the mixture until it is pale and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Using a metal spoon, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Turn the mixture into the greased pan and spread it out evenly.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until risen and springy to the touch.
- Cool slightly before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Once the cake is cool, in a bowl, place all the frosting ingredients and, using the hand mixer, beat together well.
- Spread over the cake.
- Run a fork across the surface of the frosting to create a wavy pattern of lines.
- Place the frosted cake on a tray or plate and open freeze.
- Once frozen, place in a box or freezer bag and return to the freezer.
- Let stand overnight on a wire rack, then sprinkle with your topping of choice.