Down Home Beef Stew
Recipe Type: Main
Pass on the comfort of home with this hearty stew.
- 1 pound beef stew cubes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 package oxtail soup mix
- 4 cups cold water
- 2 cups fresh or frozen baby whole-style carrots
- 2 medium potatoes, cut in eighths
- 4 cups fresh or frozen mixed vegetables (e.g. sliced onion, diced celery, peas and cut green beans)
- Coat beef cubes with flour. Brown in hot oil over medium high heat while stirring. Drain fat. Add soup mix
- and stir. Add water and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer, covered, on stove or in 325°F oven for at
- least 1 1/2 hours. Add vegetables, except peas, cover and cook until tender, about 25 minutes.
- Add peas and cook 5 minutes longer. Serve over noodles or with dumplings or toast. If using frozen
- vegetables, add during the last 15 minutes of cooking time.
- Time saver: Make up large batches of this stew and freeze in family-size portions. These can easily be
- defrosted and reheated for a meal in minutes that tastes like it took hours to prepare.