Recipe Type: Main
This thick and hearty Beef Stew is a one-pot meal that is much more quick and easy than you might at first think. It only requires a few simple ingredients to prepare and although it has a lengthy cooking time, it’s a great way to cook up supper without a lot of fuss.
Slowly simmered to bring out all the flavors, you can sit back and relax while this one cooks. Your family is gonna love it
- 1 pound beef stew cubes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 package oxtail soup mix
- 4 cups cold water
- 2 cups fresh or frozen baby whole-style carrots
- 2 medium potatoes, cut in eighths
- 4 cups fresh or frozen mixed vegetables (e.g. sliced onion, diced celery, peas and cut green beans)
- Coat beef cubes with flour.
- Brown them in hot oil over medium high heat while stirring. Drain fat.
- Add soup mix and stir.
- Add water and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer, covered, on stove or in 325°F oven for at least 1 1/2 hours.
- Add vegetables, except peas, cover and cook until tender, about 25 minutes.
- Add peas and cook 5 minutes longer.
- Serve over noodles or with dumplings or toast.
- If using frozen vegetables, add during the last 15 minutes of cooking time.
Make up large batches of this stew and freeze in family-size portions.
These can easily be defrosted and reheated for a meal in minutes that tastes like it took hours to prepare.