Time taken: 20 minutes
Serves : 2
The best part about this recipe? It only takes about 20 minutes to chop, cook and serve! Sadly, it gets eaten too quickly – in about two minutes!
- 200g cleaned button mushrooms
- 1 tbsp white synthetic vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil (for pounding)
- 7-8 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3 cloves (or as preferred) garlic
- 2 (or as preferred) green chillies
- 10 pine nuts, shelled OR 4-5 walnuts, shelled
- 1 tbsp olive oil (for cooking)
- 4-5 black pepper, crushed to a coarse powder
- Slice the cleaned, dry mushrooms into four slices each. Set aside.
- Finely chop the garlic cloves and green chillies.
- Holding one end of the thyme, pull out the leaves gently in the opposite direction. Do this with all the sprigs.
- Place the thyme leaves, garlic and green chillies in a mortar.
- Add the balsamic vinegar or white vinegar to this along with a teaspoon of olive oil.
- Using the pestle, pound until the mixture turns mushy and aromatic, about a minute.
- Heat a wok with a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add the mushrooms and saute with a little salt until they sweat slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Add the thyme mixture and toss until the mushrooms are evenly coated and cook until they are just done.
- Adjust salt and pepper according to taste.
You could squeeze half a lime and use the juice instead of vinegar. If you are cooking in an aluminium wok, the lime may turn bitter. Use a non-stick pan or seasoned iron wok.
I usually serve this with roti. Happy eating!!!!